What comes first the characters or the plot? I’m not sure it matters. If you are inspired by a character, go with developing that character. What are the goal, motivation, and conflict? After you determine that start asking story questions and the plot will develop.
If you have a story idea that comes to you first, play with the idea for a while until you start seeing a plot. Start asking questions about who might be involved in that kind of story? Start adding characters to the story and developing them.
Either way that you enter into a story, I think the key to developing it is to ask questions and keep asking questions until you figure out enough to write the story. Unless you are a writer who has to have a complete outline. Answer enough questions to get into the story and go with it.
How do you start out? Do you start with characters or plot?
- Getting to Know Your Characters (nightsofpassion.wordpress.com)
- Writing Tips: Plotting Your Bestseller (sisterhoodofthetravelingpen.wordpress.com)
- Don’t Lose the Plot (suehealy.org)
- Plot, Character and Story (7evildwarves.wordpress.com)
- A Bookish Dilemma (goldenbookwyrm.wordpress.com)