Date: Saturday, November 2, 2013 from 10am – 4pm
Cost: $40 – College Students, IRN members, SINC-Iowa members
$60 – groups of 10+
$75 – All Others
Description: In this workshop, David Corbett will guide students through the five stages of characterization he details in his critically acclaimed new book,The Art of Character. With the goal of helping students apply these techniques specifically to their own works in progress, he will lead the class through exercises that:
* Explore unique and compelling ways to conceive the character from the outset.
* Enrich the character through examination of one’s own personal experience.
* Deepen the portrayal by exploring the five essential qualities of compelling
* Create character biographies that rely on dramatic scenes, not descriptive
* Explore the interaction of the character and her role in the story, especially the
* Develop techniques for rendering the character on the page: point of view, voice,
“Corbett has been quietly crafting some of the best novels of the new millennium. Human characters and tragic consequences. Corbett is one of the giants of tomorrow.”
For more information about David Corbett, check out his website at: